Monday, January 3, 2011

Kiss Me Frogs

Frogs and the color pink are two of my daughter's favorite things so when I came across this fabric a while back it was a must.

As for me I like to have some sort of handwork on hand for when I have little bits of time with nothing much to do. Since I took a class when Emily was a baby smocking has become a favorite of mine. The problem here is that a little girl really only needs so many super fancy dresses. So imagine my excitement a few months ago when this pattern was recommended to me. Its from a Martha Pullen book called The Joy of Smocking. The book itself is OK but not great. Like many heirloom books its mostly black and white with a few dated pictures. That said the pattern itself nice. The gown is similar to a bishop dress but its only smocked in the front. It runs about a size big and has a lot of volume but both of these are easy to adjust for as needed. I've made three now and I'm sure there will be more in my future.
Here is a close up of the smocking itself. Its hard to see in the picture with the print but is cute in person. The smocking plate is Ellen McCarn's Christina (number 10203). I've done it twice now and likely will use it again because it looks nice in different colors and is an easy repeat to do while watching TV or children.


Lastly, just for your viewing pleasure above is the first nightgown I made Emily from this pattern.

3 comments:

  1. I like that they are a little big for her to grow into them. I love them. Cite girl. And I am about to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO pretty!! I love this pattern. I do not have it, but I can figure it out from a bishop pattern probably. I think I may have a dress like it as well. I think I am going to do it. Thanks for the inspiration! I can't wait to see all the pretties you make and show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sweet! I love the long nighties that the little can grow into- very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Followers