Saturday, January 8, 2011

Minky Twirl Mixed Feelings

Let me begin by saying that I will always be honest with you my readers. With that rule set I must say this dress didn't quite turn out as planned. Emily loves it and I mostly do except for the neckline. I lowered it because I was worried that it looked high in the picture and now its pretty low. Oh well. I wanted something that was a combo of the Hanna Anderson twirl dresses and the Kelly's Kids minky play dresses. Also Emily wanted something with a big pink bow. So let me tell you how I did it.

I used design number 19 from Otto 6/08 as a starting point. I traced the top part of this pattern in a 98 with 104 sleeve length. Then It was time for some sewing math. I wanted a 3 tier fluffy skirt so I measured the front and back pieces. They are different length on this patter because of the gathering in the front.
tier1= (pattern width *2)*1.5
tier2=tier 1*1.5
tier3=tier 2*1.5
Back is done the same way. I used 7in wide strips.
Sew the raglan seams (the shorter part of the shoulder is the front). Next sew one of the two side seams. Then sew the tier one pieces together, gather (I use a gathering foot), pin it two the bodice matching the side seams, and sew together. Tiers 2 and 3 are done in the same way. Make sure to finish you seams.
This is what you will end up with. This way if my tiers aren't quite perfect the dress still works out easily. Now sew the other side seam and finish the last little bits. If your little princess also needs a pink bow I just pinned the ribbon across the front and sewed across the top, sides and bottom leaving it free from just past the side seem.

Twirl shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers