Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Easy Tank Top Binding

Here is another otto 3/2011 tank top for my tank top loving big boy. He's not allowed to wear them to school so I've only done two but I imagine as summer presses on he will want more. Thankfully they are super easy to make and take almost no time.

That leads us to this little tutorial I made for you. I don't have a coverstitcher and do all my binding with my regular machine set two a narrow zig zag or longer straight stitch with a walking foot, a stitch in the ditch foot, and a ball point needle
1) Sew one shoulder seam together and serge if you want to.

2) Sew the binding right sides together to the neck area and the sleeve area of the sewn shoulder seam.
3) Pin the other shoulder seem lining up the binding as if you were matching a stripe and sew the seam.  Do the same with the side seam .

 

4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 with the other arm hole.

5) Wrap binding around raw edge and stitch in the space created by the seam between the fabric and the binding to create a nice clean finish.

There we go.  A completed tank and we didn't have to put any binding on in the round.  I'm sure I'm not the first person to figure this one out but I figure since it took me a while perhaps there are others out there who could use the tip.  Thanks for stopping by.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your tips. I have tried this pattern and the binding was giving me a hard time. The next one will be a breeze. Thank You Jacquie.

    ReplyDelete

Followers