Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Very Vintage Dress

This is quite likely the oldest pattern I have ever used. The seller listed it as late 30s or very early 40s. It has no actual pattern markings and was originally twenty-five cents. It also says "quick and easy" on the cover which it was not.

I had planned on making the shorter version but Emily saw the pattern envelope and asked for the long one. This added the the challenge since I had already purchased the fabric. The outer fabric is some very cheap probably mostly poly voile from fabric.com and the attached slip is made out of light pink batiste.   I like the look of the outer fabric but truth be told it was a nightmare to work with and if I had it to do again I would have skipped the slip entirely and just made the whole dress out of batiste with a full lining.

Its decidedly more Emily's style then mine but it is beautiful and I'm glad to have made it. I learned a lot plus the smell the voile made when I tried to iron it reminded me of being a little girl in the late 70s and early 80s. I think my mom made me a yellow dress out of about the same fabric. Who knows perhaps the people at fabric.com found bolts of it in a basement.

I think the back of this dress is particularly sweet. This was also my first time making an embroidery floss button loop. Turns out it was just like making a twisty friendship bracelet. Glad I got all that practice in middle school.
All this fluff is from the slip and the skirt.  No netting it is just that fluffy.

I think the incredible twirl power is Emily's favorite part.  The skirt was hard to gather and put together but I think it could twirl over her head.


Here is Emily telling me that I was done taking pictures.
Hope you like the dress.  I'm entering it into the pattern review vintage pattern contest.  Some of the things that those ladies are making are just amazing.  It doesn't hurt to enter though right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers