Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Vogue Dress

This is my go at Vogue 1250. It is a DKNY pattern that has been all over pattern review lately and seems to look pretty dang good on everyone. So imagine my disappointment when the first set of pictures we took made me look like I was smuggling a spare tire. Don't worry though after some deep breathing, much looking in the mirror, and  reassurance from my always patient husband I discovered that this dress does not work well with black slimming panties. I know that seems counter-intuitive but they somehow made my tummy more prominent. So just when we all thought there was nothing left to say about this pattern there you go be careful of the shape wear it seems to drape better over a more free approach to undergarments.

As for sizing I did my usual 14 in the chest tapering to a 16 for the waist and hips.  For my non-sewing buddings I will point out that pattern sizes have nothing to do with ready to wear sizes.  I'm happy with the fit and amount of ease. I prefer body skimming to body hugging though so I can see how someone who wanted a very tight dress may need to go down a size or two.   For my tastes and comfort level this is just right. I just need to get over the fact that as a woman who has had 2 kids I'm never going to have a perfectly flat tummy.

I made this one out of some ITY jersey from fabric.com.  Picking fabric for this pattern is a sort of an interesting quandary since you want something with lots of drape that will also look good skimming your lower half.  I think this works pretty well though I would be interested to try one in a less dressy fabric one day.  I feel just a bit overdressed running errands in this one.  Interestingly enough though I've had it on all day and I feel like people are being nicer to me then usual so perhaps its the perfect errand running dress after-all.
I plan to make at least one more of these out of sparkly gold jersey to be one of my cocktail dresses for our cruise. 
Oh and by all means ignore the weird faces.  This was our second photo shoot and I've had a headache all day so I wasn't exactly channeling my inner supermodel. 

2 comments:

  1. very pretty, I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dress! And the jersey knit....lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Followers