Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Ascot Dress that Wasn't

Hi all, I'm back from a week of visiting my parents with the kids.  I'm super tired but excited to get some sewing done and some posts completed.  I made this a few weeks ago when this was the challenge and didn't get the post up.  Hope you like it now.

A few weeks ago the Sew Weekly challenge was to sew an Ascot dress. For those of us on this side of the pond that would be an only black and white dress. My plan was to use the leftover fabric from my Portfolio dress to make a cute little tie front dress for Emily. I had the Papaya Whip dress from Otto 3/2011 all picked out. Too bad Emily had different ideas.

You see a few weeks ago I really wanted to spend some quality time at Hancock fabric and I bought her coaperation by letting her pick out a yard of fabric. She picked the lovely Minnie Mouse fabric you see pictured above. Then about the same time I wanted to make her Ascot dress she started asking when I was going to make her Minnie dress. For what its worth the lining of this dress is all black and white.

The pattern itself is really cute. I don't care for using piping nor did I have any in the house as it turned out so I left it off. I did use florecent pink ric rac down the front and at the neck. I also bound the arm wholes with narrow black double fold bias tape. That was because I was so excited to put the zipper in that I did a few steps out of order and could not sew the sleeves properly and turn the dress right side out again.
Hope you like it. Emily loves it and I think she looks adorable even if it isn't what I set out to make.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great looking dress, I can remember when my children were small I used to bribe them the same way! You did a great job! Great choice in fabric Emily, you look darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love it when they still fit in 1 yard dresses? Ahnalin is almost too big for them now. But she would love this little Minnie Mouse dress for sure! And, of course, I adore the rick rack!

    ReplyDelete

Followers