Sunday, July 17, 2011

Name That Tune

I'm having so much fun doing some of the weekly challenges for Sew Weekly. This week's challenge was to make an outfit inspired by an album's cover art.  My first thought was to make a red dress like Gwen Stefani wore on the cover of Tragic Kingdom but I don't really want a bright red dress so I didn't have fabric on had for that.  Then the Chasing Fireflies Halloween catalog came in the mail and my husband asked if we could make Emily dress as the bumblebee girl.  Of course we will let Emily pick her own costume much closer to time but an idea was born just the same

So can you name that tune? 
I should point out that I went to high school in the 90s so grunge and I are close.
Also that it hasn't rained here in a while so there were no puddles for her to tap dance in. 

So did you know before you saw the picture? 
I made a few changes because I wanted her's to be a wearable dress not just a costume.  I used black tencile shirting left over from another project that I will post about soon for the skirt and a small piece of yellow ribbing for the body.  I cut the front about an inch wider then half of her chest measurement then sewed sequin trim on to make the design.  The back is just shirred so that it fits snugly without a lot or really any fitting.  The skirt is just two big rectangles with yellow ribbon sewed to the bottom.  Oh and the straps are made from the bottom hem of old yoga pants.  That's a little grungy right?  Anyways hope this one made you feel a touch nostalgic as it did me.

1 comment:

  1. Your sewing projects are great. I found your blog through PatternReview.Com and after I saw this project I automatically starting singing "All I can say is that my life is pretty plain. I like watching the puddles gather rain...".

    -Anna
    f

    ReplyDelete

Followers