Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sewing the Needful

Last week Peter over on Male Pattern Boldness posted a question to his readers with blogs. He asked if we ever find ourselves sewing just for our blog. Now mind you his blog has 1199 followers and who knows how many readers so its just a titch larger then mine. I still had to respond with though with a resounding no. Don't get me wrong I love that your here, I think all 30 of my followers are great, and I wouldn't blog if I didn't want to share my thoughts and sewing but for the most part I just sew what I want to make. I also had to laugh because not only do I not sew just for my blog but I have trouble motivating myself to sew the slightly less exciting things that we actually need. So that is where the title of this post comes from. My children need sun hats before we visit the beach again. Yes I know that its August and the probably should have had them in June or well really April in these parts but I just got around to them last week. Hats just don't excite me after all. Nor do they excite either of my children as you can likely tell from the pictures.


I used the reversible bucket hat pattern from Little Things to Sew.  I do like this little pattern though mine are not really reversible as I have yet to find a way to do the very last step without causing one side to look better then the other.  No problem here though as both of these were designed to have a plain outside with a fun lining.  The outer of both hats is khaki weavers clothe and both are lined with printed quilters cotton.
Emily's hat is a size medium though I sort of wish I'd made a large since she has been into piggy tales lately.  Her's is lined with pink kids dancing fabric that I bought at and end of bolt sale a few years ago.
Elijah at 8 is already too big for the largest size. I'm really glad I measured his head before starting. I ended up tracing the largest size and then sizing it up but matching those lines up the the medium and tracing again. His hat is lined with Scooby Doo fabric.

1 comment:

  1. I whipped up a couple hats last weekend and really enjoyed the process ... pants are what I need but have trouble getting motivation for.

    ReplyDelete

Followers