Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dolphin Friend

I'm pretty sure that Emily's favorite part of our entire cruise was swimming with her dolphin friend in Grand Cayman. We all had a great time but she was so excited she couldn't contain herself.

We got both kids tee shirts. Don't worry I know that Emily's is way too big. I'll make it smaller next summer but right now I'm not fixing it bc I want it to fit her again next summer and simply can't predict how she will grow.  I'm hoping for some added width as well as height.

Emily decided she wanted a blue skirt to go with her shirt. Now you know good and well I couldn't simply make a plain blue skirt and call it good right? Add to that the sewing mama's challenge this month was to either start a quilt (which I did but no pics yet) or make something completely out of scraps. So this skirt is made completely out of scrap fabric. I dug through my bin and pulled out everything blue. Then I figured out what combination would work for the Insa pattern from Sewing Clothes Kids Love. I really like this pattern. This one is a little big though bc silly me assumed Emily had gone up a size without measuring her. As it turns out she still has a 20in waist and is down to a 19in chest. Not sure what to make of that but I suppose that's a post for another day. Hopefully, it will fit for a while at least.
You may recognize some of the fabric.  The bottom layer is left over from Neil and Elijah's Easter shirt.
The dark blue is left from my shorts project.  The light blue is also a scrap but its from a dress that I made a few years ago.  It did not go well and the dress is gone but I had a touch of the fabric left.
I did some decorative top stitching but the to layer still looked a little plain so I decided to add some freezer paper stenciling.  To make things even better I had blue fabric paint leftover from another project.
I took these pictures to show you that I did the stenciling before sewing the last side seam.  I find this is the best way to embellish this pattern.  Really its easier to embellish anything if you can still lay it flat.  As a super awesome bonus this fits this weeks Sew Weekly Challenge.
Last but not least here is Emily swimming with our dolphin friend Alegra.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers