Friday, October 28, 2011

The Pink AP Skirt

Generally speaking I'm not a big fashion/style blog reader. That said I'm a big fan of Already Pretty which in a style, body image, and then some blog written by a lovely lady named Sally who has a lovely pink Anthro skirt that I've liked since the first time I saw it. Sadly, it was from a few years ago or I likely would have just jumped on their website and ordered myself one. You see while I love to sew I'm also a fan of shopping and am more then willing to just buy something if what I really love already exists. Well already exists and fits well but that my friends is a whole nother can of worms.

I did not want to attempt a direct copy instead I went for more of an inspired by look. There are also quite a few internet tutorials for ruffled knit skirts and I looked at quite a few. I ended up making my skirt base using this tutorial but liked the way this skirt had the fabric layered rather then gathered. I used light pink cotton lycra as the base, cream 5in lace as the well lace, and two different pink knit fabrics for the layers. I marked the skirt for the layers every 3 inches and cut the fabric strips 4 inches long. I liked the slightly rough look of the original so I started each layer in a random spot and sewed them on with a zig-zag stitch till the end overlapped the beginning by a few inches. I'm pretty pleased with the final result though its a bit out of my comfort zone.
I'm also having a bit of trouble figuring out what to wear with it. The shirt above is from Old Navy and I liked it in the store but feel like it makes me look a little to lumpy in the middle. I also got a cream sweater that I'm liking it with. We'll see hopefully I'll figure it out. Though suggestions are always welcome. I should probably also work on getting a knit shirt pattern altered to fit just right. Lets just add that to the ever growing list of projects.

Oh just FYI I'm also going to enter this in the pattern review pink contest. If your a member there regardless of who you vote for you really should check out the entries. There are some incredibly talented ladies over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers