Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sonic

Let me begin this post with a nice dose of blogging honesty. Halloween is not my favorite holiday and I don't love making costumes. Last year I bought both kids costumes at Target and was perfectly fine with that. I decided to make three this year though. Mostly bc the kids wanted to be things that were not easily accessible at my local Target. So this post could be called Haloween 1 of 3.

Elijah decided he wanted to be Sonic the Hedge Hog. He actually decided this summer and I was hoping he would change his mind but he held firm so I formulated a plan. I decided to base it of the hoodie pattern that I made his frog hoodie from. Truth be told though if I had it to do again I would use a zip up the front pattern as its a bit hard to get on and off. I did take some pictures of the process for you though if you'd like to make one for the little hedgehog in your life.

First, I added a bit more of a point to the hood to mimic the blue on Sonic's face.
Next, I traced the back of the hood curve and drew my spikes.
Then I cut everything out which you do not need a picture of but here are the spikes all sewn and stuffed.  I decided to top stitch before stuffing so the would look a bit pointier.



The middle spikes went in the back seam of the hood.  The other two sets are just sewn to the outside.  Thankfully fleece does not fray so the exposed edge didn't matter all that much.
Just thought you'd like to see what it looked like while I was sewing it together. 

I cut the back piece as two pieces instead of on the fold so I could add these other two spike like things we saw in the pictures.  They are not stuffed just topstitched.
The hood is lined with old tee shirt fabric.  This is a picture of me sewing the hood to the body of the hoodie. 
Here's another model shot.  The cream belly was just sewn on to the front.  I also added a seam to the sleeve so that he could have cream arms and blue shoulders. 

Running at Sonic speed.
Here he is from the back so you can get a full view of the hood.  He is pleased and I like how it came out.  I will warn you that while none of this is particularly difficult some of the construction is challenging just because of bulk.

3 comments:

  1. You did a great job! He is the best looking hedgehog ever! YOu have been awarded the Liebster Blog Award! Please visit my post http://glosews.blogspot.com/2011/10/liebster-blog-award.html to get your copy of the award to post on your blog!
    Congratulations
    Glo at glosews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! My 7 year old went with Sonic this year too. Lots of spikes and stuffing. I am not sure my machine appreciated the fleece and thickness of material. I like how you pieced it all together! It looks fantastic and he looks pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, this is really well done. Great work for creating this on your own, looks great! I just linked up to Project Run and Play and saw your link... love it!

    ReplyDelete

Followers