Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Sewing Industry R and P

Sew Mama Sew is doing a Link party to see everyone's sewing industry reflections and predictions this year so of course I couldn't help but to throw in my two cents.

Looking back at the 2011 sewing scene, what trends stand out in your mind?
One word Pinterest I think it has changed the game.


What were some of your favorite things related to sewing this past year? This was the year I started blogging specifically about sewing so that has changed my prospective on many things.  Its also the year I became active on pattern review and learned from the ladies there that big 3 patterns are not evil.

What did you make that you’re most proud of? (Share a photo in your post!) Emily's Easter Dress.  I took an heirloom sewing class at the end of last year with one goal in mind.  To make Emily a real heirloom style Easter dress and I think it turned out beautifully.  Oh and guess what ladies heirloom sewing is actually not that hard it just takes time.

What sewn projects have you seen this year that you absolutely love? I couldn't possibly pick just one.  I've seen so much that is just incredible.  I think though I'm most impressed with the dresses the Sew Weekly ladies have made.  I'm afraid that's as specific as I can really be.
Do you have a favorite sewing book or pattern from the past year to recommend? I got brave and made jeans this year so absolutely the Jalie Jeans pattern

Are there any trends you’re over and done with?  New peasant dress/top patterns.  Don't get me wrong I have a few and I love a peasant dress but seriously ladies we have enough so to all the independent designers out there I say, "please no more."  If you've got a great twist write a tutorial on how to modify what you have but lets be a bit more original.  Oh and readers if you don't have one and want one I have the book Little Girls Big Style and it has one with just about every modification you could need.

What are your thoughts about social media? How is it going for you? What do you love or hate? As I said this was my first year blogging.  I love how it causes me to think more about my projects and I love having a record of what I've made.  I don't love worrying about how many hits I have.  I'm working on letting that one go though.  I'll also say that I am much more likely to share my work on sites that let me put a link to my blog rather the retyping all of the information.  


Did you have a favorite fabric collection or print in 2011? nope

What do you predict for 2012 in the sewing industry? I'm not sure.  I got the Colette book and the Burda Style book for Christmas and I'm loving the idea of sewing books and patterns that expect us to really learn how to sew and fit rather then just slap a belt on a sack and call it good.  I hope this will continue.  I also love that both books have really good instructions and hope this will continue as well.

Can you tell us what to expect from you in 2012? Any big projects or life-changing goals? My big goal for 2012 which I will be blogging about is to go all year without purchasing a single pattern.    I've got a lot so you will still see plenty of new stuff from me but I have a bit of a pattern buying problem that will be stopping cold turkey on January 1st.  I will be using patterns and books that I have and modifying them to fit my needs. 

1 comment:

  1. Great review of 2011 and I agree with you about the peasant top, blouse, dress. Enough already! Hope your New Year is sew beautiful!

    Happy Sewing

    glosews

    ReplyDelete

Followers