Friday, February 3, 2012

kiss dress

I bought the fabric for this dress at some point last year because I thought it was hilarious.  It has little broken hearts all over it and says "you break it you buy it".  I think I like it so much because it reminds me of the book 8 Simple Rules for Dating my Teenage Daughter.  Specifically the rule that once you start dating the author's daughter you must continue to do so until she is done with you.  Turns out not everyone thinks its funny but whatever.
The front is done with a freezer paper stencil using an image I cut with my Silhouette.  I thought it would be hard since its a pretty detailed image but it worked out really well and I just love the little kids kissing.  Though I would not like to see my little kid kiss a boy any time soon.
The pattern is the Farbenmix Henrika.  I bought it from a coop a while ago and just now got around to using trying it out.  The best part of this dress is the super twirl power.  I finished the bottom with double fold bias tape to show off the skirt and to keep from having to actually hem the curved bottom.
We've been having a sort of weird lack of winter this year so I was having trouble deciding what type of sleeves to make.  Then in what I like to think of as a stroke of genius I decided to make a short sleeve dress with a long sleeve coordinating under shirt so that it could work as both.


I also added thumb holes to the under shirt.  Emily thinks these are about the coolest things ever.
It twirls well.
It also jumps well.


Here's one more shot of the thumb hole.  Plus a close up of the stencil.  Hope you like the dress.  I've already got some ideas for this pattern so I'm sure you will see it here again.

4 comments:

  1. Adorable!!! That stencil is the cutest ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute. I love the farbenmix patterns, I have done several differnt ones , for my grandkids.Will have to get this one.so cute.Happy sewing.
    Your daughter is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow!!! That stencil is so cute!! And I love the thumb holes too. Darling outfit on your sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter is so cute! What a great mom to make her such a sweet Valentine's Day outfit! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete

Followers