Thursday, March 22, 2012

My Mad Men Dress

I the name of honestly I'll begin by saying I do not watch Mad Men.  I've tried twice now and I just don't enjoy it.  If you would like to talk Being Human, Gossip Girl, Vampire Diaries, or New Girl to name a few I'm your girl but there's something to real and sad about Mad Men for me.  The dresses are beautiful though so when Sew Weekly decided to celebrate the show this week I had a great time going though images.  I was tempted to order a real vintage pattern or buy a reproduction but I stuck to my goal and dug through my stash instead.  I ended up deciding to do a shirt dress similar to the ones so many of the housewives wore in season one and used Simplicity 2246 View C.
I bought this pattern for the other two views so I wasn't sure how I would feel about this one finished but I'm loving it.  I cut a 16 in the bodice, 18 in the sleeves, and a 22 in the skirt to make it as fuller.  I basted the top together and decided to back the darts out a tiny bit.  I shouldn't have though.  I forgot that the button band would add more width.  Oh well I don't mind the bit of extra room. 
I bought the fabric on clearance.  Truth be told its a color/print that I wouldn't have gotten if it hadn't been cheap but now that I've got it I really like it.

Hope you like.  I'd love to hear what you think even it its just to say you can't believe I don't watch Mad Men.  I'm not sure how many of the upcoming challenges I'll be doing.  My son is in need of shorts that don't ride up so I need to get to work on the needful sewing.

7 comments:

  1. Totally like! Great dress, fit, print and overall effect! I do watch and enjoy Mad Men, but I agree completely that the feeling of the show is dispiriting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like it! I have that pattern and have made the long-sleeved, straight dress (in the same fabric as pictured on the envelope) and didn't think I would care for the other version, but yours is very pretty, so I may have to try it! (I have only watched the first season of Mad Men on Netflix... I like it, but it is depressing. And I watch it while I exercise, so it doesn't really motivate me to keep going. Sometimes I just want to turn it off)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! The color is very spring-y. I don't watch the show, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. show ok..............you awsomely talented xxoo aunt janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen Mad Men, but I certainly see all the styles just from reading sewing blogs! This is a lovely dress. I do like the color since it's so springy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your mad men dress, I love the fabric too.. I have this pattern and have made this version.. So comfortable and easy to wear.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I found your review on patternreview! I'm attempting this dress in sky blue broadcloth soon (like yours, in all one color... though I'm thinking of embellishing mine with a bit of lace trim or something), and your alterations are definitely something I'll consider while working on mine.

    Also, that orange looks good on you- I wish I could pull off orange that well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers