Monday, March 12, 2012

vintage purple dress

First off I'd like to report that I'm in a much better mood today.  I got some rest, had a cupcake, and did some sewing.  Now all is well here.  Well I guess daylight savings has us dragging but other then that all is well. 
My usual vintage pattern behavior is as follows.  I sew one vintage pattern remember how much I love them and spend about a week going through all the patterns on etsy and buy 3 or 4 more.  I bought this one at some point last year because it reminded me of a picture of my German mother in law when she was a little girl.  The pattern is not that old though its McCall's 2661 from 1970. 
In addition to the overall look there are a few things I really love about this pattern.  First off it has two length.  I made the longer length or Emily and it should be long enough all summer.  I also like that slightly higher neck line.  Its such a sweet little girl thing.  The little vest is may favorite part though its the part that kept me from making the pattern the moment it arrived.  You see I thought the lacing in the front was done with buttonholes which don't scare me at all anymore (they used too terrify me) but instead its done with eyelets.  I'd never done eyelets before and I as sure they would be hard.  I bought the basic kit at Joann's and it turns out they are actually super easy.  All you really do is cut a little hole, line it up with the guides then hit it with a hammer.
This fabric fall into my stupid lesson learned category.  I few years ago I was at Joann's well after Easter and saw this fabric thrown on a rack with nothing that matched.  I figured for sure it was on super clearance since the holiday had passed.  I was wrong.  It was full price.  The lesson here being to ask the price before you get your fabric cut if its not clearly marked.  At least its cute though and Emily loves bunnies so she'll wear it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers