Wednesday, April 18, 2012

linen and lace

This is my Sew Weekly contribution for the week. The challenge was to make something inspired by a childhood photo. After going through a few photo albums I settled on making something inspired by the dress I wore for 8th grade graduation. Looking back it turns out I wore a lot of really awful things but this dress was beautiful. It was white linen with cut work lace.
I didn't have enough fabric to even consider recreating the dress so I decided to make a blouse instead. I used the Favorite Things Classic Shirt pattern. This was my second time making this shirt. I really like the princess seams and bust gathers. It worked well for this project too because it has a lot of small pieces so I could use three different fabrics without having to alter the pattern.
Speaking of fabrics these were all in my stash already. I purchased the white linen last year before we went on our cruise but never got around to using it. The white eyelet was from the remnant bin at JoAnns. The white embroidered fabric was reclaimed for this shirt that I made last year. I did like the shirt but the exposed shoulder meant I had to wear a strapless bra with it and that turned out to be a deal breaker.
I hope you like it. I wore it yesterday for Elijah's student lead conference. I think it will also be useful during Me Made May. Oh and I have an extended stupid lesson learned for this one. The first time I made this shirt I made a 14 and it fit well as does this one so when I wanted to make the Prairie Girl Dress I decided just to cut the same size. The problem was that I thought I made a 16 in the top and never checked. As I'm sure you can guess the dress was an awful tent that couldn't even be altered to fit. So the lesson is even if you think you know what size you made before check.

1 comment:

Followers