Thursday, April 26, 2012

Little Details

This week Project Run and Play a is celebrating Earth Day by upcycling or using green materials. I decided to upcycle even though that is not my strong suit.
I wasn't sure where to begin so I started with a shirt I bought for Emily this fall that I really loved. Too bad she never liked the skirt I made to go with it and almost never wore it.
I started by splitting the bottom hem with my stitch ripper. Then I did a rolled the top piece and added wide lace to the bottom. I had to laugh though because I added the lace the heirloom way instead of just sewing it on. I didn't mean to but that is so ingrained in my sewing I did it without thinking. At the moment this is enough length to cover her tummy but I feel like I'll be OK with it at the end of the summer even if it doesn't with the lace.
I cut the sleeves at a bit of an angle, rolled the hem, put a little pleat in the top, and added a pink ribbon flower. Then I added a flower to the hem and then one to the front of the little fairy on the shirts dress.
I made a skirt from a navy shirt I bought at GCF. Emily has been really into long skirts lately so I made it as long as I could. The bottom tier is from the underarms of the shirt to the hem. I wanted to keep the pocket so I made the top tier out of that part of the shirt and the waistband out of the arms. The tabs are from the cuffs. At first I was going to keep the original buttons but I decided that I had to have pink glitter buttons to go with the shirt. Then I added ribbon roses to the top button and the top of the pocket. None of the bottoms are functional so the back is elastic so she can just pull it on and off.
I also stenciled fairy wings on the back with pink pant and then two shades of pink glitter.
I like the way this turned out. I think the key for me was added lots of little details.

2 comments:

Followers