Thursday, April 5, 2012

VIP skirt

This week on Sew Weekly we are stash busting. For those of you who don't know people who sew tend to build up a stash of fabric.  Its hard to say exactly how this happens.  I think its a combination of things.  I find a great deal, see something I absolutely love, get a great idea for a project, or need to fill a box at fabric.com so I can have free shipping.  Its its alright with all of you for the moment we are gong to consider these all perfectly good reasons to have extra fabric and more on the way.  So a stash busting project can be a lot of different things but this week was Very Important Piece or VIP week.  That means cutting into something that your are saving for just the right project.  I actually don't have a lot of VIP's in my stash.  Things are more likely to hang around here because I have no idea what to do with them then because I think they are too nice to cut.  I think this should count though.
This skirt is made from Far Far Away 2 fabric by Heather Ross.  I'm a huge Heather Ross fan so when this line came out I bought 3 pieces.  I had planned on making a blouse out of this but its a bottom weight so its been sitting waiting for the right project. 
I'm not sure if this was the right project or not.  Its the Colette Ginger skirt.  I've only had mixed success with Colette patterns.  They are beautifully drafted and the directions are great the problem is they are drafted for someone with a very different body then mine.  I thought this one would be fine though since my measurements were between a 10 and a 12 but I cut a 12.  I ended up with a big fabric wrinkle in the center front that I had to take out with a tuck that was 1in in the middle tapering to nothing at the sides.  The Sew Weekly ladies say this is a tummy adjustment.  I'll have to tweak the pattern and make a muslin before I try again but thankfully that was all it took to salvage this one.  With a bit of work I think this could become a TNT pattern I just wish I'd done the work before I cut my good fabric. 

2 comments:

  1. Love your ginger skirt. The seam in the front,actually looks good.. Looks like a design.. Good job fiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely, especially in the great fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Followers