Monday, May 7, 2012

2 tops plus a MMM update

Last week was pink week on Sew Weekly. Since pink is my favorite color I had lots of big ideas. I even made muslins for the tops of two dresses. In the end I stuck with something practical. You see I also knew that Me Made May was coming and I did not have a MM top to go with one of my favorite RTW skirts. If you did not know Pattern Review is also doing a contest using the patterns that have made their best of lists for the last three years. As it turns out I have 4 of these patterns currently in my stash and as of last week had only used 2 of them. One of the ones that was sitting around waiting for me was McCalls 6078. It has a reputation for running large so I decided to live dangerously and buy the size bracket that ended at a medium though my measurements would put me in a large.
I also decided to try it with scrap fabric before cutting into my good fabric. The truly keen of eye might recognize this from my hammer style yoga pants last year. If your wondering they did not get much wear. ITY is too hot for yoga. The purple cotton lycra ones do though. Anyways I digress the above is view B and it fits like a dream. I'm sure there will be more of this little top.
I decided to do view A with the cap sleeves and cross back for my pink shirt. Initially I didn't love this one quite as much. The back draped so low you could see my bra, it was way too long, and the shoulders fell off if I moved. Instead of flipping out I took a few deep breaths and said, "OK what can I do to fix this?" I started by taking a few inches off the bottom and adding a tack to the back where it needed to cross. This helped but did not fix the shoulder problem. Then I remembered a RTW top that I bought this winter had a little strap from shoulder to shoulder in the back. I added one to this shirt and it works perfectly. I doubt I'll make this view again but I like the final results and am glad I was able to make it functional
Now as for Me Made May in short is was a busy week and I don't have any pictures for you but I am going to tell you what I wore. I'll try to get some pictures this week since a good number of my Me Made things have not been blogged about yet.
Tuesday: brown and pink bird dress I did take pictures but they were too bad to post
Wednesday: dress for this weeks Sew Weekly challenge look for a post later in the week
Thursday: black Colette skirt and the pink and black top at the top of this post
Friday: blue shorts and a RTW top
Saturday: I wore a workout scort that I made to step that morning
Sunday: last years Easter dress pretty much all day

Hopefully I'll get some good pictures this week.  Thanks for looking just the same

2 comments:

  1. love your blouses.. so pretty and look great on you.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how View B fits you. View A looks like just too much fabric hanging around. When I make this - and I will - I think I will start with view B.

    ReplyDelete

Followers