Friday, June 8, 2012

The Fake Lace Dress

Another week another Sew Weekly post. Its taken me a bit to settle into the process but now that I have I'm really enjoying the weekly challenges. Among other things I've accepted that my posts my never be the most glamorous, its pretty much a given that my photos will not be the most exciting, and while we're on the topic I may never be one one of the featured dresses but oh well life goes on and the fun part for me is figure out how I can make the challenges work for me. I mean lets me honest the last time I got truly dressed up was for a wedding about five years ago so most of my clothes need to also work for things like sitting in the dirt filling up water balloons. I love my life though and am enjoying wearing my own creations while living it.
This week's challenge was to make something inspired by a member of the Brittish royal family. I've never been particularly into royal watching so I started by doing a google search and finding a lovely lace mini dress that Kate Middleton wore at some point. I know that mine is really different but her dress reminded me of this lace print ITY fabric that I bought during the winter. I used the dress part of Simplicity 2443. I bought the pattern last year because it reminded me of some of the cute Athleta dresses. I'm really pleased with the results. The strap part is a bit of a pain in the rump to sew though. I sewed the shoulders then sewed the lining and strap fabric together in a big circle at the neck line. Then some creative folding and turning allowed me to get a nice clean finish for the arm holes. It didn't look like it was going to work there then all of a sudden it did. Attaching the bodice to the straps was also not easy but carefully pinning and taking it nice and slow worked out. The only changes I made were leaving out the pockets and zipper. Since my fabric is a knit I didn't need a zipper and the pockets hung funny so I took them out. I'm sure that I'll wear this one again. Even my mother in law said it looked nice on me.

1 comment:

Followers