Thursday, July 19, 2012

zoo dress

Summer has been a busy time around here so I haven't been sewing as much and blogging even less.  I actually finished this dress about  a month ago.  Originally I bought this fabric thinking of a trip to the national zoo but we ended up changing our plans and this spring I decided to go ahead and use the fabric before she gets too old for it or too big to get a smocked dress out of two yards.
I debated using a few different patterns before settling on adding smocking to the skirt of the Olabethe Emily pattern.  I also made the skirt much longer since the pattern is for a top.  Its a great basic pattern though I used it or our brighter then the sun dress as well.  Who knows one day maybe I will make it as a top.
Since, these straps button at the back I made them extra long and put a deep hem in the skirt so that it will fit her as long an its big enough around.
Here is a close up of the smocking.  I did use a plate but its really simple just like I like it.
She's worn it a few times so far so hopefully she will keep wearing it.  I'm pleased at least.  As much as I like dresses with lots of smocking I also really like ones like this with just a little bit to add some extra detail.

7 comments:

  1. SO.SO Cute... Love the fabric.. Your daughter looks so pretty in this dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Seeing a comment pop up from you always makes me smile.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful smocking, beautiful dress, beautiful daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Stephanie, I love it!! I love the fabric and pattern and smocking. And your dolly baby looks so darling in it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sooooo cute! I love the smocking with the cute print and primary colors as opposed to the usual pastels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS, i love the smocking on that ever so cute fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's gorgeous. The smocking is so beautiful, seriously great job!

    ReplyDelete

Followers