Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Librarian Blouse

The very observant out there may have noticed that I'm up to 2 pattern purchases this year. The first was a back issue of Australian Smocking and Embroidery that contains Emily's Christmas dress pattern and this was the second. This is the Sassy Librarian Blouse from the Craftsy class. I'm going to be very honest, detailed and hopefully constructive in this post so I totally understand if you just want to glance at the pictures and move on. Let me also go ahead and remember to tell you that I got the class on sale for $9.95 and do not think I would have even been tempted if it had been any more expensive.
Do please forgive the pictures I was in a hurry to get them taken so I could write my Sew Weekly post.  Anyways If you haven't done a Craftys class before they are online video classes for a specific pattern or technique.  I've purchased 3 but this is the first one that I have done start to finish.  Hopefully I'll finish projects for the other two soon but they are both way more involved.   This class is decided designed for a close to beginning seamstress so I did not really enjoy the video lessons so much.  I did like her instructions for marking and sewing the darts and release pleats.  For the most part I think it could be good for someone with little experience who wanted a lot of hand holding with one major exception.
My big issue is that there was almost no information about size selection or pattern alteration in the class. I had to taper down 2 sizes at the waist to get the bodice to fit and would have had to do a large arm adjustment if I'd wanted the original sleeves to fit.  Well I should say I did want them to fit but after sewing it completely together with them and not being able to get it on I decided to just use the Colette Ginger sleeves instead since I already knew they fit.

I have a few other slight gripes as well though they are mostly matters of preference. I would have preferred a french of flat felled seam at the shoulder and did french seams down the side. I also disdain doing set in sleeves and will return to almost always doing them carefully in the flat from this day forward. Seriously, as long as your careful, line things up, and ease them properly they look exactly the same for way less hassle. I very much liked her advice for marking and sewing the button hole and overlap as well. I also followed her advice and took the blouse with me to pick the buttons. I usually just take a little swatch but I did find it much more fun to pick with the finished product along. So there you have it. I'm really in the middle of the road about this one. I almost threw the blouse out once when the sleeves didn't work and when I wrote my Sew Weekly post I was still very unsure of it. Now I've worn it twice and while I'm still not sure if I will make it again I'm fairly confident that I will wear this one and am not sad about using the fabric.

4 comments:

  1. Well, it's cute on you, and the fabric IS lovely! What dress are you making from AS&E? (You're really planning ahead!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now let's not assume I've actually started. Its the I think Heidi dress I can't remember the issue but I had to have it bc it looks a bit German so my MIL will like it and its different from anything I've seen. I do have another smocking project that I will get posted soon though.

      Delete
  2. It's really pretty and the style is so cute. I, too, generally set in woven sleeves flat. Uh...I'm not sure why not? I probably wouldn't do it for a coat, but it's always worked out for me otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've even done it on kids coats and it worked out just fine. I'm just really careful about lining up the seam at the side. I guess its a matter of preference but I surely have a strong one there.

      Delete

Followers