Monday, November 5, 2012

Emily's SWAP

Sewing Mama's hosted an Ottobre Sewing With a Plan or SWAP contest last month.  The rules for SWAPs very but this one was fairly simple.  You had to make 3 tops, 3 bottoms, and 2 additional pieces.  Since Ottobre sponsored the contest 2 tops and 2 bottoms had to be made with Otto patterns.  Also the pieces all needed to work with each other.  After all the idea is that you create a wardrobe for one person.
Here is my large entry photo.  I went with a pink and green theme since I had a few of these fabrics on had that worked well together already.  I still ended up buying new fabric though.  OH well!  I also choose to make all the bottoms pants because I really wanted Emily to learn to wear pants at least some of the time.  As it turns out most of her friends this year wear pants to school so its been no problem at all.
I didn't get a great picture but this is a bishop dress modified to be a tunic.  Its made with Dr Seuss fabric so Emily is pleased.  She is really into The Cat and The Hat Knows A Lot About That.  I like it too because it makes the bishop style more wearable.
These are ruffle pants made with minky fabric.  They are so soft and cuddly that if I thought I could pull it off I'd make myself a pair.
This princess and frog fabric inspired the collection.  This top is made from the muffin tunic pattern which was one of the first otto patterns that I ever used.  When I made the first one she wore the smallest size.  This one is the largest size.

I added this caption to the back of her little girl with glasses shirt because it bugs me that so many if not all of the kids shirts with glasses also say nerdy or geeky or something like that.  Don't get me wrong my baby girl is smart but I don't really like suggesting that its OK to call her a nerd.
I sort of want a pair of these too.
Here is the stencil on the front of her shirt.  The little girl and the glasses were both done with my Silhouette cutting system and freezer paper.  I just layered them together so she could have glasses like Emily.
If you think you've seen this pattern before like in my previous two posts your right.  This was the first pair though and I really wasn't sure if I would like them or not.  I'm so glad I took the chance.
I hope you like my SWAP collection. I really enjoyed this type of sewing and hope to do it again in the spring. If I ever get around to it I plan to add a few more pieces to this as well but my project list is huge at the moment. Here is the link to my SWAP on sewing mamas and here is the link to the whole forum. If you get the time everyone did great work and I bet you would enjoy looking over them all.

2 comments:

  1. Lucky Emily... THis swap produced her some adorable clothes.. I love all of them.. SO cute,
    as is Emily.

    ReplyDelete

Followers