Thursday, January 24, 2013

bad pics of a cute shirt

It took me three attempts to get what I think is a good fit for the v neck tee from my sewing with knits class.  I ended up making a large with I think 4 inches of extra length.  Since I was still figuring out the pattern I used some knits that I wasn't particularly attached too but would work well enough if the shirt worked.  At this point I'm happy with the fit but according to my chest and hip measurements I should have easily been a medium and as it turns out the large is quite fitted and yes I retook them just to be sure.

The main fabric is a think navy rib knit that I bought at JoAnn's before I understood just how different knits could be.  In person it still looks fairly nice but in pictures it gives me ripples and bulges in places where there are none.  The very cute 5 year old helps a bit with that in this picture though.  The print came in a flat rate box of scraps that I got free for shipping a while back.  It was only a half a yard though so I made this one with 3/4 sleeves.  I worked out a nice long sleeve length on the first two so I figured it didn't matter so much if these were not long.
This is the best picture well except for the fact that my eyes are closed.  It also didn't help that we were doing them indoors but its cold here this week and I just didn't want to go stand outside for pictures.
Here is a close up of the V neck.  Learning how to sew a proper V neck has got to be one of the best things I learned from this class.  I also took the time to find the triple stitch on my machine and started using wooly nylon in the bobbin for knits but of which have been very helpful.

Now that I've adjusted it I could see this becoming a go to pattern for me.  Well as much as anything is a go to pattern since one of my favorite things about sewing is trying new patterns.  Its going to be nice to have a basic tee that fits though even if I mostly use it to make sure things like the arm holes will work on new patterns.


3 comments:

  1. Really like your new tshirt.. Love the trimming in the neck too..so cute.
    Do you recommend the craftsy sewing with knit class? Have been thinking about taking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part I have liked the class but I have had some fit issues with 2 of the patterns. The hoodie was great and fit in the size that matched my measurements. This top took some tweeking but I enjoyed the information about sewing the neckline. The shorts with a disaster in a size large which should have fit my waits and been big on my hips. I'm hopefully going to try the dress in the next few days. There are a lot of cool tips in the class and she is very detail oriented. I got it on sale for 14.95 so I think it was totally worth that but I would not pay full price.

      Delete
  2. I like your top and the contrasting sleeves and neckline.

    ReplyDelete

Followers