Saturday, January 5, 2013

I think I learned something

I've been putting off writing this post as well as my 2013 goals post because I simply haven't been sure of what to say but today in JoAnns I think I figured out at least part of it all.  This was my first trip of the new year and both Vogue and McCalls patterns were on sale.   I looked through both books, was intrigued by many things, but in the end left with on pattern (Vogue 1327) which has been on my patterns list since it came out.  I just didn't feel like investing in anything just on a lark.

First off what did I learn from a year of very limited pattern buying. 
  • Having the pattern is not the same as starting the project much less finishing the project.  It doesn't even guaranty that the project will ever begin.  I still have more unused patterns in my sewing room then I care to count as proof of that.
  • There really are only so many original ideas out there so look at the line drawings whenever possible.  Why?   because that is the best way to see the real design.  I tend to get distracted by fabric choices and what not so if I see something I like I then look at its line drawing and go through what I have to see if there is something similar.  Often there is especially when it comes to kids boutique style patterns.  Trust me at the end of the day you don't need 10 peasant dress patterns and changing a few simply things can completely change the look of a pattern.  Patternreview has a whole contest about that.
  • Finally, the big take away from today.  Think about all the projects at home that you really want to do before adding another one to the list.  I mean really I just spent a full year working from my stash and still have a rather long list of projects that I would really like to complete.  Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying a little break from them at the moment but its still a long list.
Now I promised to disclose what the first patterns of 2013 were.  No I did not go on a pattern buying spree on Jan 1st.  I did buy the craftsy knits course that was on sale for $14.95 on Jan 1.  It came with I think 6 knit patterns if you consider changing the neck line of a shirt changing the pattern.  I bought the Oliver and S Badminton pattern at the inventory reduction sale at my local fabric store and the Vogue pattern mentioned above.  I'm not going to restrict my pattern purchasing this year but I am going to do my best to keep in in check as well as my fabric purchasing.

Forgive the length of this post but I also wanted to post my 2013 goals here.  As I said a week or two ago I really want to focus on sewing whatever I want to this year instead of participating in challenges and sew a longs.  This is not to say that I won't link up to things if what I make fits with the theme but I'm not going out of my way for anyone this year.  Instead I'm going to post a list of projects that I would like to get to.  No promises but here goes.
  • Sew all of the projects for my sewing with knits craftsy class.
  • Use the jeans craftsy class to recreate my beloved grey cords and hopefully develop a TNT pants pattern.
  • Sew all 5 unused Oliver and S patterns in my stash two of which I got from Santa this year.  They are badminton, book report, croquet, apple -picking, and school photo.
  • Make some summer separates for Emily similar to the winter SWAP.
  • Find or develop TNT patterns for shorts, tee shirt, and pants.
  • Sew the Colette Parfait for myself.  I made it to the muslin stage several years ago but didn't know how to alter it to fit.  Now I think I could figure it out but it will be a bit of a project.
  • Use some of my fun woven dress patterns with some of my fabric stash even if I don't need them.  Including the vintage dress pattern that I simply had to buy last year.
  • Make Emily's Easter dress.
  • Make at least one complete project from the Alabama Studio Design book that my husband got me for Christmas.
  • Sew the Manhattan Frock from Sewing Clothes Kids Love.
  • Have fun sewing and creating things that I enjoy.
So there you have it plus a promise that the next post will include some actual sewing.  

2 comments:

  1. I agree - after a certain amount of time collecting patterns, when you look at new pattern, you realize you already have most of the conceivable combinations.

    I look forward to seeing your Parfait - it's such a pretty dress. I hope to make the Macaron this year, if I can ever decide on fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh I like the Macaron as well. I'll look forward to seeing your version.

      Delete

Followers