Wednesday, February 6, 2013

ruffle pants

I know I've mentioned it here before but both of my kids are swimmers.  Usually this have very little to do with sewing but this past week it lead to a bit of a sewing emergency.  You see swimming does a few things to kids but mostly it leads to skinny kids with muscular legs.  For Emily this also lead to all three pairs of skinny jeans that I made her this fall becoming a bit too tight in the legs while all the ready to wear pants at Target were still too big in the waist even in an xs.  I guess that's what I get for trying to just go buy something when I have plenty of fabric here.  For the first pair I decided to do a plain pair of basic ruffle pants.
I used the ruffle pants pattern from the book Little Girls Big Style.  Sadly, the book only goes to a size 6 and that is what I cut.  I really should have done a 4 or 5 with added length though so hopefully I get a bit more use out of that book.  It really is a good super basic boutique pattern book and I like that it gives quite a few modifications for each pattern so you can get most of you boutique type clothes out of one book.
Emily likes them so much she is jumping for joy.  I don't know how much longer she will be able to get by with ruffle pants but I hope she can for a while still.

I used a heavy weight jersey knit fabric for these.  I've had it in my stash for quite a while.  I bought it at the Chez Ami warehouse sale right after I really got into sewing for her but before I understood knits.  So its a great fabric for bottoms but is not very stretchy and does not work for things like fitted tops and neck binding.

OK off to practice my stepping.


1 comment:

Followers