Monday, February 18, 2013

Sweetheart Dress

I few years ago Emily was big enough for her first / my first dress swap.  I was so excited and there was one dress that I wanted from the moment that I saw it.  Sadly I was not the only one that felt that way and while I got some beautiful dress I did not get that particular one.  I was able to buy the same fabric panel though.  I meant to use it that summer, then that fall for back to school but I found out her class was the apple class and had to change plans. I also meant to use it last Valentines Day but accidentally bought the fabric for this dress instead.  I finally got to it this year which is a good thing considering  how hard it was to get a dress out of such a small amount of fabric.  Thankfully when I want out looking for a coordinate I found one that worked perfectly. 
I used the knotty variation of the basic dress pattern from Little Girls Big Style in a size 6 better known as the largest size in the book.  Sob
This was my favorite part of the whole panel so the dress was planned around it being center front on the skirt.  It says "I Love You". 
I think knotty jumpers were very popular a few years ago but I had never tried making one.  Its cute but I probably won't to it again.  You have to untie the knots to get it on and off and she can't do that on her own.  I'm glad I did it on this one though because I couldn't find any buttons that I liked with the finished jumper.  I guess I used up all my luck when I found the fabric for the ruffle and lining.  It matches perfectly in real life.  I also like that it says sweetheart on the front.
Here's the back.  Its says cute and has fairies, shoes, and cupcakes.
Just one last shot mostly bc she still looks little in this one.  I've got a few more things in the works.  My peplum top didn't work out.  I'm OK with that though.  I thought I could modify a pattern that I had to make one but the proportions were off.  I got that fixed but then it had been hacked so much that it was wonky.  I may pick up the Vogue pattern later this year but for the moment I'm just moving on to another project that I want to do.  I also started smocking Emily's Easter dress so hopefully that will be done in plenty of time.  I'm using fabric that Neil got me for Christmas I think last year and its way more expensive then anything I would pick so I will have to say a little prayer before cutting.




2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I looooove the fabric! My hat is off to you for being able to cut into it. I have some treasured Heather Ross that I just can't bear to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to be better about using mine but its still hard. I wish I'd gotten a bunch of the Lightening Bugs collection back when I could have.

      Delete

Followers