Thursday, May 9, 2013

making faces

I'm sure I don't have to tell you this but most of Emily's clothes are pink or go with pink.  The major exception are swim team shirts.  Our team colors are red, black, and white.  They also don't order shirts smaller then a youth M so they are practically swim team dresses but that's another story.  We work black leggings with them in the fall and winter but Emily needed some totally cool shorts to wear with them for summer.  Enter the Oliver and S class picnic shorts.  You may remember that I've already made the blouse twice  (here and  here)  but I bought the pattern in my quest to find the perfect little girl shorts for summer.
These are made from two half yard cuts of quilters cotton.  Black with pin dots and white with pin dots.  I really had to squeeze them in but I had the fabric in my stash and didn't want to buy anything extra.  The only change I had to make to accommodate this was cutting the waist band out of the red instead of the black.  It looks cute like that plus we never really see her waist band.
I made her a size 5 with slightly tighter elastic then the pattern called for.  The directions are very good and its not a bad pattern to sew getting the contrast bands on and looking nice is hard though.  Even using my special top stitching foot it still turned out a little wonky.  They fit nicely too.  They are rather short though so keep that in mind. 
So I think these are fun little shorts.  They certainly will not be becoming my go to shorts pattern but I enjoyed the construction challenges.  I'm interested in trying them again perhaps with pretty bias tape instead of the curved facings.  We'll see though I have a few projects in the Que already.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers