Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Lollypop Dress

You know those projects that seem simple enough, by all mean should be easy to complete, but for some reason turn into a comedy of errors.  That is exactly the experience I had with this little dress.  First I messed up a bit pleating the insert and didn't want to fix undo the whole thing.  Guess what this is always a bad idea!  That lead to the insert not being big enough bc I only smocked the good part.  Then I needed to add it to the dress the same way I add them to tee shirts except that I couldn't find my fabric glue and decided to press on anyways.  That leaves the back a bit rough though and so I wanted to add a bit of minky to cover the messy bit and sewed it in crookedly twice.  I should have just lined the whole front.  Oh and by that point I was so fed up that I didn't bother to change my serger thread so you can see the gray showing through a bit at all the seams.  If your still here you've made it to the pictures of the finished product.
This is the best picture I have of the smocking.  Emily picked the plate out of a few that I bought a while back and never quite got around to making.  I know she is going to out grow some of these cute little things soon so I'm trying to use them while I still can.
I used my Fabenmix Olivia pattern for the dress.  I've made it a bunch of times over the years and its still my go to for a super plain knit dress.



2 comments:

  1. I think it is adorable Stephanie! I never thought of putting a smocked insert in an Olivia but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable.. Love the the smocking in it... Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete

Followers