Sometime in the 70s my mom made herself a leopard print wide wale cord maxi skirt. I wore it a few times in college but the truth is my mom and I are very different body types so while we sometimes wear the same size in ready to wear clothing the same can not be said post alterations on a handmade item. Add to that the problem that the zipper was broken when I first got in from her and you can see why it spent the last few years sitting in my sewing room awaiting the perfect project.
this pattern and I still like it very much. Making a skirt from another skirt provided some new challenges. There are a few strangely places seams from the original skirt but they blend in pretty well with the print. I actually broke my serger on one of the side seams that was just to thick. I also decided to use a regular zipper instead of an invisible one. The other challenge with the cord is that my shirt sticks to it so quite a few of the photos made me look like I had quite the muffin top. I real life this is less of a problem though since you can see that the top is just a bit baggy.
All in all I'm very pleased with the skirt. I got quite a few compliments on it the day we took the pictures. I also think it will be fun to style this winter with brown or black leggings and some sort of long sleeve top. Speaking of which I need to make a top to go with it one of these days.