Sunday, December 15, 2013

Grovy Mama Skirt

Sometime in the 70s my mom made herself a leopard print wide wale cord maxi skirt.  I wore it a few times in college but the truth is my mom and I are very different body types so while we sometimes wear the same size in ready to wear clothing the same can not be said post alterations on a handmade item.  Add to that the problem that the zipper was broken when I first got in from her and you can see why it spent the last few years sitting in my sewing room awaiting the perfect project. 
I was thrilled to realize that with some creative pattern placement I was able to squeeze my altered to fit Vogue 1247 out of the skirt.  Well almost squeeze.  I had to use wide double fold bias tape for the waist band.
I also had to use fun pocket fabric again. 
This is my 3rd version of this pattern and I still like it very much.  Making a skirt from another skirt provided some new challenges.  There are a few strangely places seams from the original skirt but they blend in pretty well with the print.  I actually broke my serger on one of the side seams that was just to thick.  I also decided to use a regular zipper instead of an invisible one.  The other challenge with the cord is that my shirt sticks to it so quite a few of the photos made me look like I had quite the muffin top.  I real life this is less of a problem though since you can see that the top is just a bit baggy. 

All in all I'm very pleased with the skirt.  I got quite a few compliments on it the day we took the pictures.  I also think it will be fun to style this winter with brown or black leggings and some sort of long sleeve top.  Speaking of which I need to make a top to go with it one of these days. 


4 comments:

  1. So cute.. and how fun that it use to be your moms..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I am going back to get this pattern. They're only $3.99 at Hancock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it works out well for you. I love mine but I did have to do a bit of pattern alteration to get it to where I wanted it.

      Delete
  3. Awesome skirt. I love that it was one of your moms :D too cute! I've been wanting this pattern forever. I just never seem to be in town at the time it's on sale. It looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete

Followers