Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Seussical Outfit

Emily's kindergarten class celebrated Dr. Seuss day on Monday.  I simply had to make her a special outfit.  Mostly I made the outfit because I had a yard of the Dr. Seuss fabric from a few years ago that I wanted to use before she got too old to want a skirt out of such childish fabric.
I also took this as an opportunity to use some of the tutorials that I had pinned.  I used this scort pattern to make the skirt.  I asked her if she wanted a scort but she said she just wanted a skirt.  Honestly, I sort of prefer to just do a skirt anyways because that allows us to wear whatever length leggings or playground shorts that we want under the skirt depending on the weather.
The tutorial I used for the shirt has been around for years as in it predates the indy pattern that is very similar.  The tutorial is just for the yoke so I used the tee shirt from Sewing Clothes Kids Love as a base.  I lowered the neckline by about 1inch and added a bit of length.  I usually just hold the pattern piece up to a shirt that I know fits her and add however much it will take to make the tee that length.  I also used yellow fold over elastic for the neckline instead of fabric.
This project was also a big win from a stash diet standpoint.  I've had the Seuss fabric for years, the green fabric came in a mystery box a while back, and all of the trimmings were also in my stash.  I didn't even have to by thread to make this one.
I wasn't sure about the tiny little yoke on the top of this skirt but I went with it just the same and as it turns out I really like the look.  It keeps the bulk off of her waist while still having plenty of twirl power.



3 comments:

  1. Adorable... Emily looks very happy with her new outfit.. Love the yoke on the tshirt..Just made the outfit..Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a fun outfit! I missed seeing your outfits on SM's, glad I found you here :) http://graciousthreads.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found me. I do still post there sometimes but not nearly as much as I post here.

      Delete

Followers