Monday, April 28, 2014

Whats For Dinner 1?

Our schedule has been crazy lately.  If we can use the word lately to describe that past year or so.  That has lead to some real challenges when it comes to having dinner as something resembling a family.  We used a meal planning service for a good while but over the past few months we just haven't been liking their recipes.  We've also figured out that if we just except that we will be eating late most nights and plan accordingly things go a lot better.  So that brings me to this new little segment I'm doing mostly to keep myself honest.  I'm calling it What's for Dinner because I get asked that question all day every day and I would really like to know the answer.  So here are our first 4 attempts.


Sour Cream Chicken
http://www.livinthepielife.com/2011/05/omas-sour-cream-chicken/
We've had this before and liked it but I'm not thrilled with the stuffing mix as an ingredient.  I used it this time but may try to make my own with whole wheat bread in the future.  Not next time though since I still have half a box of mix.  We served it with a tomato salad and grapes.

Bubble up Enchilada
http://www.emilybites.com/2010/12/bubble-up-enchilada-casserole.html
This is a new one for us.  Not thrilled with using biscuit dough and canned sauce but I figured that if we liked it then I could try making my own biscuits and sauce.  We like the idea at least of using mostly real foods but we aren't always very successful.  I did grate my own cheese though.  I also added in the leftover tomato salad from last night.  It was served with kiwi.  Everyone ate this, everyone but Emily had seconds, and Elijah wants to have it again.

Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli 
http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2009/02/roasted_shrimp.html#more-3472
This is a really simple one.  Neil and I really liked it, Elijah liked the shrimp, Emily seemed mostly OK with it though she didn't like the pepper.  Neil did the cooking and I always leave the pepper off but he puts it on.  We also had orzo and a can of peaches (not my first choice but it was storming and I didn't want to run out for fresh).

Power Bowls
http://iowagirleats.com/2014/02/19/chicken-power-bowls-with-crispy-baked-garbanzo-beans/
Salad for dinner used to be a complete nonstarter with my kids until last month when we discovered the feast approach.  We pick a salad with lots of different components other then veggies put bowls of everything on the table and within reason let the kids pick and choose.  This one was ideal since it had chicken, nuts, roast chickpeas which turned out to be a surprise hit, and cheese.  Emily also requested cut up apples instead of cranberries so we did that.  It was great and now I know that roast chickpeas could go in lunch boxes.

Quinoa Veggie "Fried Rice"
http://damndelicious.net/2012/10/19/quinoa-veggie-fried-rice-and-a-giveaway/
Another hit.  I was surprised but it went well.  Elijah ate around his broccoli but I can accept that.

So 4 for 4.  We also grilled on Saturday and that was also a hit.  I'm hoping to continue doing this to keep myself honest.  The goal is to do at least on recipe that we know we like a per grocery list plus at least one new one.    Then if they are from pinterest they either go to the make again board or the not so much board.

3 comments:

  1. The bubble up enchiladas are FANTASTIC. I recommend using small biscuits (NOT grands) or you risk them not cooking all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. They were a big hit here. I got the Trader Joe's biscuits though and I don't think they are as big as the grands.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great idea.. SOme good recipes too.

    ReplyDelete

Followers