Friday, October 3, 2014

September Books

These are the books I finished in September.

7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess
I really liked the idea of this book or at least what I thought the idea was.  I thought it was going to be about simplifying.  It sort of was but it was more about fasting which is different.  It was still interesting though I got frustrated because I would have liked to hear more about the actually process and  would have liked to know what the long term results were.  She left it very open ended.  Probably because it was due to her publisher soon after the experiment was over according to the book.  It was interesting though and I did clean out my closet and spend some time debating which 7 articles of clothing I would pick to wear for a whole month.  I also liked that she touched on how hard it can be to prioritize between things like buying organic, buying local, and spending less money.

In Defense of Food
I know I'm super late to this party but I've been catching up on some of the books that I put on my books to read list but never actually read.  We've been trying to switch to mostly real food for a while now.  I found the history part very interesting but felt like he focused too much on this and rushed through the 3rd part that was about what to eat.  Oh well still interesting.

Women Food and God
This one had also been on my list for ever.  Read as I heard about it on Oprah before her show went of the air.  It was interesting.  Not really about God at all but interesting.

Gerties Sews Vintage Casual
Technically I didn't read the whole thing but I have looked at the pictures and made a muslin of the pants pattern.  This book rocks and I'm so glad I treated myself.  I really want a tnt pants pattern and have high hopes for this one.  Oh and Emily loves the pictures of Gertie and would like pink hair.

Wildly Affordable Organic
This one I did read and it was pretty bad.  I mean if your up for eating mostly dried beans, onions, and high protean pasta I guess it might be great but its not for us.

100 Days of Real Food
Didn't read the whole intro how we did it part since I've read her blog but I'm loving the recipes.  Some but not all of them were on her blog but I really prefer a cookbook plus everything we've made has been super yummy.  The kids have even eaten some meat free meals.  We will be using this one quite a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers